Moving soon? Whether your move is a permanent relocation or just temporarily, you need to think about the preparation which is truly mentally exhausting. You will have a great number of tasks you should do before your home move which is also physically straining.
If you are dubious about what tasks you should do, this article will be a great help for you. We have created a list of important tasks you need to remember. Check this out to avoid forgetting anything that is needed before the big day.
1. Start preparing early for your home move. First things first. You will be packing a lot of things so be sure to prepare packing materials as early as possible. You can buy boxes and bubble wraps or use recycled materials. This way, you can manage your time efficiently. On the other hand, if you will be hiring furniture movers, you may ask them to bring blankets for additional safety.
2. Update your family and friends about the move. Share your moving plans at least a few months in advance if possible. This will give them enough time to process the news and there’s a big chance they will offer some help. On the other hand, it will be easier for you to say goodbye since you were able to have enough time to bond and talk before you move.
3. Notify every institution about the change of address. Giving notifications about the new address should be done not only with family and friends but also with the bank, the insurance company, credit card providers, charities, and building societies you have joined. For them to be able to send any letters or important documents to the correct address. On the other hand, don’t forget to change the address on the online shops you have used (i.e. Amazon, eBay) to avoid any issues in the future.
4. Collect all your spare house keys from neighbours, relatives, and nannies. You have the time to inform them about your move. Once collected, you need to hand them over to your estate agent or solicitor.
5. Inform your doctor, dentist, and optician. Getting your medical records for your new doctor to check is a smart move. They might also be able to give recommendations for doctors they knew so it will be easier for you.
6. Get some extra supplies from your current doctor if you are taking regular medicines. This is necessary especially if you haven’t found a new doctor around your new home. Getting a prescription would be difficult so be sure to do this before you move.
7. If you have kids, remember to notify their schools. They would need a letter especially for students who are transferring to another school. So, it is better to write it as soon as you can.
8. Notify utilities about your move in advance. Once you gather all the needed information, be sure to contact each utility (i.e. water, electric) to avoid any problems. Schedule your disconnection a day or two after your move-in case there is a delay and you need to get back inside your former home to pick up anything that was left.
9. Do not forget about your phone number and internet service. For utility services that require an installation appointment like the internet, it is a good idea to call a month in advance to set up your new place so you can enjoy the service once you arrive. Be sure to update your phone number with the correct area code especially if you move interstate.
10. List down all the important numbers you might need for your move. Remember to include the numbers of estate agents, removalists, insurance people, and utilities together with the account number for an easier inquiry.
11. Charge your phone battery. Having a dying phone battery on a moving day is the last thing you would want especially if you will be contacting the moving company you hired.
12. You should have some extra cash on hand. This is advisable especially if you are moving interstate. This money is intended for any last-minute emergencies or basic supplies.
13. Check if all utilities are switched off at the former house. You don’t want to pay surprise charges once you arrive at your current home so be sure to check everything before moving out.
14. Be sure to get the number of the seller. This is for you to easily contact them if any troubles arise in the new house.
15. Ask for a list of recommended local services of the area from your agent. It will be easier for you to get local services such as an electrician, plumber, and other personnel for your needs at home. These will be the last people you want in your new home, but it’s better to be ready.
Hope you will be able to follow all of these tips that we have written. If you are now preparing for your move, better to print this out and include this in your checklist for a more organized move. Moving is challenging but we can make it less stressful by following each step. Hope you have a happy and smooth home move!
Report a violation - this will only be shared with Upmove. Please let us know: